Sunday, September 4, 2011

Between Here and There

If you know me, you know I'm not now, nor have I ever been THE OUTDOOR TYPE.  I can't honestly think of anything I'd like to do less than go camping or hiking- basically any activity that involves physical labor, sweat, and bugs.  I'm a child of the United States- I will drive where I can, even if it is from the Target parking lot to the Petsmart parking lot in my hometown (which are in the same big parking lot).  I whined- a lot- this summer when my adorable husband suggested we walk from our house to the Publix, less than 1/2 a mile away (to be fair, and I know you Southerns will understand- it was JULY, the sun had already risen and it was about seven million degrees with four billion percent humidity).

But living in a country where walking is not an option changes everything.  I long to take a stroll somewhere, anywhere really.  As I have not tried to hide, I despised my time in Shanghai.  Living here in Guatemala, where it is beautiful and green, sunny and breezy, and you can actually see the blue sky every day... it pains me to say that I do actually miss China.  At least you could walk.  At least I could take my dogs somewhere to get out of the house.  If my little one had already been here, I could've taken her for a walk every day, even if it was only around the block.  Here in Guatemala, it's not safe.  Adorable husband will not even let me walk to the pharmacy which is less than a quarter of a mile away.  Like a good American, I drive.  Now, don't go getting all upset.  Truthfully, I think it would be safe.  But you don't really know and why risk it?

Not to scare you, but last year, a friend of ours was taking his two little girls to breakfast.  They walked down the very busy street at 10am on a Sunday, less than 1/2 a mile from his house.  And he was held up at gunpoint.  Really, it's a brilliant plan.  Who isn't going to do everything a person with a gun says when their kids are right there?!

So when we go outside, it's in our neighborhood or at the school.  Or the mall, which isn't technically outside.  It makes me miss walking.  More than anything, it makes me want to live in England.  Beautiful, beautiful safe England, with your beautiful manor houses and parks all over the place.  Sigh.

Wait.  I'm American.  I don't like to walk.  (I've been to that castle and it is that pretty!)

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. Guess no where is perfect. I love the green here as well.

    ReplyDelete