Tuesday, November 2, 2010

1723 Down...

...48,277 words to go.  I can do this.

I did actually start writing yesterday and it felt good.  It only took me about a half an hour to write my daily quota (I should do 1667 a day to stay on track).  It took a few minutes for the juices to start flowing but then they did and I think that this could be easier than I was expecting... she says, full of hope and optimism at the beginning of this adventure.  I am not a 'planner' when it comes to writing- never have been.  I usually think that I've come up with a kick-ass title or opening sentence and figure it will all just flow from there.  Obviously it doesn't or I would have hundreds upon hundreds of novels completed by now.  Last year, as I was writing the other story, another idea kept popping in my head and it was so strong that I couldn't wait to start writing it, after I completed Nano.  I wanted to get to know my characters, develop them, have them live out their stories.  I actually planned.  But it never materialized.  In that case, I couldn't come up with that kick-ass opening.  It just never felt right.  And I abandoned the story.  Now I'm using the characters in this year's Nano attempt.  I hope it'll work out for me.

I think I've mentioned this before- I once heard that some crazy-famous author used to start his day out by writing a letter to someone, before he started writing on novel for the day.  He said it got his brain working and he felt like he was better able to jump right into his story, rather than sitting and waiting for the flow of ideas to start.  I'm going to try and use this blog to do that... though I suspect I am of the other school of writing thought.  I have this feeling that I might become so engrossed in my blog that, by the time I'm done, I won't want to write my story.  But I'm going to have to see- I'll give it a couple of days and figure it out. 

It might mean that I abandon this blog for a month.  Or I might be really awesome at writing every day.  Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment