Friday, October 29, 2010

It's almost that time...

I really expected to be a lot more ready for National Novel Writing Month which begins in all of three days.  Back in January or February, I made the decision to try and do right by my mother's faith in my writing and get my novel done by the anniversary of her death (January 10th).  I was going to write in this blog daily- or close to daily- to get me inspired and used to writing again.  In doing that, my creative juices would start flowing and I would, by November, be ready to write the great American novel.

Or at least something novel-length.

But Nanowrimo begins in three days and, honestly, I got nuttin'.  I had a couple of ideas through this year but, after presenting a synopsis and introduction on another writing website- and having them shot down- I've abandoned them.  Personally, I've been reading Harry Potter for about six weeks now, and these books, while wonderful, haven't gotten me thinking anything except I wish I'd thought of that.  Which is not helpful.

Last year during Nanowrimo, I wrote 50,000 words about me.  It was meant to be MY story- the actual story of me transforming from who I was (lonely waitress, living in other people's houses, waiting for something) into who I am (wife, soon-to-be-mother, in love with her job and life).  But it was too personal and I wasn't ready.  I just ended up piecing together the funnier stories of life overseas...  I tried to fictionalize some parts to make it feel less intrusive.  It didn't really work.  I haven't even looked at it since October 31st of last year.  It probably stinks (Nanowrimo doesn't put pressure on you to write well- they just want you to reach the 50,000 mark).  But I had an idea and I was able to sit down almost every day and pound out the 1667 words I needed, usually with little effort.

Monday is November 1st.  I have no idea what I'm going to write.  But I WILL complete this task again, even if it doesn't make my mom as proud as I meant it to.

Maybe it's just still not time...


P.S. November 1st is also the beginning of Movember - It's a good thing I will hopefully be really busy writing because there will not be a lot of smooching in the Horner house for the next month if this picture (from last year) is any indication of what's to come.

2 comments:

  1. he is totally Earl of My Name is Earl in that picture?!?! yuck!

    i think you should write a story about sisters..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or I could write a story about a man who keeps growing more and more horrible mustaches for Movember and ends up divorced with only his mustache for love and warmth. Haha!

    ReplyDelete