Friday, August 20, 2010

Back in the Saddle

I wasn't very vigilant about writing this summer.  Honestly, there wasn't a lot to write about, but that isn't a good excuse.  There isn't a lot going on in my day-to-day here in Guatemala, either, but I found something to talk about before the summer break.  I think I will blame time and motivation.  It was so nice to spend the summer doing nothing.  This was the first summer in three years where I wasn't doing classes for Auburn.  I felt slightly lost and I actually got a little bored.  If you know me at all, you know that I am a great procrastinator.  The more I have to do, the more I get done, so not having anything to do meant that I didn't do anything.  One of my worst semesters in college was the first half of my last semester.  I was preparing for my student teaching but, in the meantime, only had to take one class.  One.  On Saturday morning at 8:00am.  The homework for that class took me thirty minutes to an hour each week... and do you know when I did it?  Friday night, usually around 8:00pm.  I had ALL. WEEK. LONG to get it done and nothing else to do the entirety of the week... and I waited until the last possible minute.  Because I'm a procrastinator.  But what I tell myself is that I work well under pressure.  It just sounds better.

There was no pressure this summer.  Dave watched the World Cup and golf and I knitted a blanket.  I watched a lot of HGTV and USA.  I saw friends, held new babies, patted growing bellies and hung out with my Dad and sister. And it was all beautiful and even inspirational in some ways, but it didn't light a fire underneath me.  It was just as easy to use the computer to check my email and facebook and be done as it was to be creative.

But we're back at school now.  The creative juices are flowing again and November is just around the corner (www.nanowrimo.org).  I need to get going on writing again.

It's easier because I have a quiet office to write in.  So it's back on, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment