Friday, June 11, 2010

Beauty school drop-out

Every now and again, I have a desire to beautify myself.  Usually it starts when I see some cute little starlet in a magazine with fantastically made-up eyes and I think, "I can do that!  And it'll obviously make me look like that!"  Or I have occasion to notice that my nose is ALWAYS red, no matter what time of day or what state of inebriation.  Like yesterday, for example, when I went to get a pedicure.  Now, admittedly, your make-up is not at its' best at the end of the day, but I spent the hour looking in the mirror wondering why I even bothered to put make-up on, since it's obviously all gone by mid-morning and WHY.IS.MY.NOSE.RED?  If you don't believe me, go look at a picture.  It looks huge and red- just call me Rudolph!  I don't know why- I always use sunscreen and don't spend a lot of time with my finger up there... sigh.  I guess it's just part of me.

So while I was getting a pedicure and lamenting my red nose and lack of make-up, I was also perusing a Spanish Cosmo, which means I was looking at the pictures.  And, lo and behold, there was some cute little thing with gorgeous eyes.  I felt almost ashamed for looking like a run-down teacher on the last day of school.  Which I was.

But here's the thing: I always feel a little ridiculous in a lot of make-up.  Maybe because most teachers that I've worked with have worn little to no make-up.  Occasionally, you'll meet that one new, young teacher who slaps it on.  Or you run into one of the old-school ladies who still smears the base on with a spackle.  Usually, though, teachers don't spend a lot of time "putting on their face."  I wear powder, blush, eye shadow (most days), eye liner and mascara every day.  And, by the end of first period, it's gone.  So mostly I think, "What's the point?"  I'm not really girly enough to wear a lot of make-up.   After yesterdays feelings of inadequacy, though, I slapped on a little extra powder and more eye liner than usual and, I won't lie, I feel a little silly.

Maybe I just haven't found my style yet.  I've always said that if I were ever to be rich and famous, all I would want is for someone to dress me and do my hair daily.  Now I'll add 'someone to do my make-up' to that list.  See, I don't ask for much.

If you do like make-up, you should read my friend Dawn's beauty blog.  She's probably ashamed to be my friend.  She should be.

1 comment:

  1. I would never, never, never be ashamed to be your friend. ;)

    ReplyDelete